I decided that I want to keep the intake in a natural aluminum finish. As my previous attempt with stripping the intake paint with CRC Gasket Remover didn’t fully strip it, today I dropped it off at Dipkingen to have it glass media blasted.
This is the “before” picture..
I’ll post the “after” pic in a couple of days when I get it back
Yesterday I drove about an hour south to pick up my Wheel Vintiques that finally arrived from the US. Thanks SMI Trading for bringing them across the pond for me!
The plan was to get some Cooper Cobras for these, but apparently it’s currently impossible to get 275’s in Europe right now as all dealers seem to be out of stock.
It looks like I’ll have to put some BF Goodrich’s on them instead. They look great as well, but cost sh*tloads! 🙁
As today’s a bank holiday, I got some other stuff done as well. Apart from throwing the second coat of paint on the engine, I painted some other parts as well.
Hopefully I’ll get the custom made pushrods from Smith Bros sometime next week so we can finalize the engine build and drop it in sometime soon.
Today we were supposed to start checking the pushrod length but suddenly realized that the lifters desperately needed a thorough cleaning. Therefore we disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled them.
So, tomorrow we’ll measure and determine the correct pushrod length. Daddy-o fabricated a “diy length checker” that’ll make the job easier.
This weekend we got a little bit of everything done.
First, I started to strip the old paint of the Weiand intake in order to get it ready for new paint. Didn’t really know what to use but after some intense Googling, I found out that CRC Gasket Stripper works pretty darn good on paint as well.
Immediately after spraying it on the old paint started bubbling and after about twenty minutes, I hosed it off with the pressure washer and a lot of the paint was gone….not completely, but enough.
During the coming week, I’ll sand the worst parts down before giving it a nice matte black finish.
After that we mounted the new cam and got some bits and pieces back on the engine.
As the 308 heads has been milled about 0,078″ (or 2 mm’s) in order to raise compression, we’ll need to measure for new pushrods as well. Hopefully, we’ll get the heads and lifters in place this week so we determine the correct valvetrain geometry and order those pushrods!
Once the correct length pushrods has been ordered, i´ll go ahead and paint the block in orange!
Oh yeah, and I just got info that the container with my new wheels will arrive this coming week, so I´ll need to pick them up and get some tyres on ´em!
Have a nice week!
As the grill emblem looked like this…I decided to check around if I could find a used one in better condition here in Sweden.. Today the mailman brought me this! It’s in great condition, I just need to touch up the black edges and it’ll be like new!
Last weekend we got lots of stuff done!
Didn’t really like the silvery color of the grille, so I decided to give a nice matte black finish! Started with cleaning and prepping the parts.
Once clean, it was time to paint!
Once it was painted, it was time to finish assembling the front end.
Now we´ll focus on finishing up the 360 so we can drop it into the car!
Right now I wish oh-so-much that there was a couple of more hours of the day…so I could spend some time in the garage. Work and other stuff haven’t let me spend the time I’ve wanted there lately but I hope things will change from this Friday.
Anyway, went by the garage tonight and once again it’s time to praise my father. Hands down, without him the car would be miserable. Thanks dad, you’re the best! Thanks to him, things are moving forward.
This weekend I’ll get my hands dirty as well!
While at work today, daddy-o sent me a picture. Apparently he assembled the “whatever-it’s-called” and put it back on the car. I was a little scared that the paint would differ a little from the rest of the car but according to him it blends great!
This morning we painted the hood underside and the “whatever-it’s-called” holding the front lights!
First we started with priming the hood and the plastic thing. For the “whatever-it’s called”, we used a primer intended for plastic.
Then, we started shooting the paint and after a number of coatings we decided that it looked good enough to call it a day.
It’s not show quality, but that’s not what I’m aiming for either. Considering our experience with shooting paint, I’d say it looks pretty darn good.
Spring’s on its way so now it’s time to assemble everything and get the new engine done!
This weekend we’ll paint the underside of the hood
More to come this weekend…