Dash restoration – the finale!

Today I went to see if the four coats of paint was enough. To determine this, I had to take it out in daylight.
Once outside, I was quite surprised that it actually looked better than I thought it would.
Yes, the repaired parts are visible but It doesn’t bother me. Perhaps later though 🙂

(null)

I also painted the fan vents at the same time. To be honest I can’t really see any difference but I guess they’ll match the dash better now.
To take things perhaps a little too far, I think I’m gonna touch up the metal/silver painted parts of the vents as well. We’ll see.

(null)

Oh yeah, and the mailman brought me the kmh speedo head sticker today from Moparts Sweden as well 🙂

(null)
Since the previous owner just made a DIY kmh scale on it, I thought it would look nicer with a “real” one!

Next up is the center console which needs some paint as well!

Dash restoration part 4!

Today the day had finally come, it was time to paint the dash.
I’ve spent a lot of time lately searching old threads over at the Cuda-Challenger forum (those guys know what they’re talking about) in order to find out which paint is the closest to the original interior color. I’ve gotten several answers and most of them pointed me to the SEM Color Coat line, and the tone Landau Black.

Before applying anything to the dash, I had to make sure that it was absolutely clean from dirt, grease and old silicone (which basically all “gas station touchup-products” contains) residue.
After washing with soap, scuffing and cleaning it with silicone remover three times, it looked like it was ready for the primer.

(null)

Then, two coats of the SEM Flexible Primer was applied.

(null)

After that, four coats of paint was applied in total.

(null)

(null)

(null)

And this is the result after the fourth coat was applied, I think it looks pretty good!

(null)

I’ll take out the dash in daylight tomorrow to see if it’ll need even more paint or if the four applied coats are suffice.
The repaired parts looked pretty alright to me. They’re visible, but I don’t think anyone really will take notice unless they’re aware of them.

Dash restoration part 3!

Finally the “repair” part of the dash restoration is done. The crack in the dash that was closest to the windshield turned out to be the worst part as there were several tiny cracks in the vinyl coming from the main one.

(null)

It’s not like new, but I’m pretty happy with the outcome and it for sure looks better than before!
Next up is paint!