Some parts underneath has been painted now, and it looks great! It looks like about half of the underneath will have to wait ’till next winter with getting painted.
It’s a tight schedule now as the tank, headers and exhaust has to be fitted within a month as we aim to have the car back on the road early may!
Oh yeah, and we’ve fitted the new trunk weatherstrip as well! 🙂
Ok, last words about the trunk.
Everything’s painted now and we’ve even applied some black body paste on the inside side panels to keep the the rust away.
To be honest, I really didn’t realize that it would mean this much job to “touch up the trunk” but now when it’s done I’m really happy with the outcome.
Today we seriously started with cleaning the metal underneath before starting with the “rust prevention treatment”.
I’m actually a little amazed with the fact that a 40+ year old original car can look this good pretty much without any treatment apart from paint.
I guess it has something to do with the fact that it’s been in sunny California all it’s life.
This morning the time had finally come, it was time to paint the trunk!
This was what it looked like after a number of layers of primer.
And this is what it looks like now!
We’ll see tomorrow what the finish is really like when it has dried but I’m pretty sure that only one more coat will be sufficient.
Not many updates lately, been busy with other stuff but tonight me and daddy-o got stuff done!
We decided that the trunk looked good enough for putting on the 1st layer of primer (which’s rust converter that can be used as primer as well).
The second layer will be put on tomorrow and hopefully we can paint it this coming weekend!
Back from Asia, time to bore y’all with another trunk update!
Pretty much all old paint, rust and junk are gone so today I decided to start putting on some rust converter. Since this can be used as a primer as well, I figure that I’m gonna use it all over the trunk floor to prevent the rust from coming back!
Today though, I focused on the places where there’s been visible surface rust.
Looks like spring’s on its way now so I better start working a little faster! 🙂
Finally got some time to go to the garage to get some trunk progress. I reached a little milestone today as I happily can say that there’s more bare metal now than old paint visible!
There’s still some surface rust to take care of but now I’m actually starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Probably 40 inches (100 centimeters) of snow has fallen down the last two days and it doesn’t seem to wanna stop. Perhaps that’s good considering the pace I’m getting things done with the car at 🙂
The old weldings are pretty much ground down and evened out. There was a few tiny holes that we instead of welding filled with chemical metal and sanded down.
There’s still a bit of sanding to even out the surface and to get rid of the few spots of surface rust left before we can go ahead with the bondo.
Since the plate holding the the lock is not aligned with the trunk floor I’m not sure whether the trunk panels has been changed or if the car’s been rear ended at some point?
Something tells me that the trunk panels should’ve been aligned if it was the original trunk panels and the weldings should’ve looked better? Does anyone have an idea?
It really doesn’t matter as the car is laser straight but I’d like to know anyway!
Went to the garage today to finish up my little door weatherstrip project. I knew my dad had been there a couple of times during the past week but I had no idea what he’d been up to.
To my surprise, he’d pretty much finished ground down the old weldings in the trunk.
So, a little more sanding and then some bondo and we’re ready for paint!
With a couple of days off, I finally got some time to go to the garage.
I started with changing the old dried up passenger door weatherstrip.
Of course, I didn’t take a picture when the new one was fitted 🙁
When I started changing the weatherstrip on the driver’s door, I noticed that the VIN sticker had been painted over when it was repainted back in -02.
I used a sponge with some solvent and suddenly it was perfectly visible again!
The trunk is in a sort of sad state. Therefore, I’ve decided to repaint it. Thing is, there’s a thick layer of some paste over the weldings that connects the trunk floor pans that needs to be removed before we can go ahead and grind down the old weldings.
It’s pretty much like dried, hardened chewing gum. And it’s a lot!
Since my brother recently moved to Hawaii, the blog’s been down for a couple of weeks. Now the server’s arrived and is back up and runnin’ again.
By the way, check out my brother’s blog Patrik’s Projects!
Last week I went to the garage and started removing the old trunk weatherstrip. I think they used something like 5 layers of superglue to get them there back in the day because first removing the dried rubber and after that the glue requires quite some work.