Project “Black out tail panels” finished!

Ever since i got the car, the argent silver painted tail panels and I have never really become friends. This spring I decided to repaint it with a satin black finish. Up until a couple of weeks ago there hasn’t been any time to do it. Last weekend we pulled the trigger and started with it!

On Saturday we started to remove the panels and sanded everything down.

When everything was sanded, we applied a coat of color but quickly decided we had to apply filler and sand even more as the finish wasn’t good enough.


After applying spray filler and doing many hours of sanding with super-fine paper, it was time to paint. After 3 coats of paint it looked great


Last night we put on the last coats of paint and today we assembled everything.

The end result is way better than I was hoping for!

Which color do you prefer? Silver argent or black? Needless to say, I prefer the new look 😉

Fall is around the corner up here, but the coming three weekends there’ll be some car meets, so after those are done it’s time for hibernation!

The wheels arrived!

Yesterday I drove about an hour south to pick up my Wheel Vintiques that finally arrived from the US. Thanks SMI Trading for bringing them across the pond for me!

The plan was to get some Cooper Cobras for these, but apparently it’s currently impossible to get 275’s in Europe right now as all dealers seem to be out of stock.

It looks like I’ll have to put some BF Goodrich’s on them instead. They look great as well, but cost sh*tloads! 🙁

As today’s a bank holiday, I got some other stuff done as well. Apart from throwing the second coat of paint on the engine, I painted some other parts as well.

Hopefully I’ll get the custom made pushrods from Smith Bros sometime next week so we can finalize the engine build and drop it in sometime soon.

Grille painted and front end assembled!

Last weekend we got lots of stuff done!

Didn’t really like the silvery color of the grille, so I decided to give a nice matte black finish! Started with cleaning and prepping the parts. 

Once clean, it was time to paint!

 Once it was painted, it was time to finish assembling the front end.


Now we´ll focus on finishing up the 360 so we can drop it into the car!

Painting done!

This morning we painted the hood underside and the “whatever-it’s-called” holding the front lights!

  
First we started with priming the hood and the plastic thing. For the “whatever-it’s called”, we used a primer intended for plastic.

  
Then, we started shooting the paint and after a number of coatings we decided that it looked good enough to call it a day.

  

  

It’s not show quality, but that’s not what I’m aiming for either. Considering our experience with shooting paint, I’d say it looks pretty darn good. 

Spring’s on its way so now it’s time to assemble everything and get the new engine done!

Engine bay progress!

While me and my wife’s been on vacation in NY (of course bringing back lots of fun stuff from Summit Racing), daddy’s been busy in the garage getting stuff back in the engine bay. He spent a lot of time painting and polishing stuff and it all looks really good!

  
Now that the engine bay looks great ,it would be sort of stupid not to take care of the underside of the hood. 

  
So next up is to sand it down to get rid of surface rust and old paint! Once that’s done, we’ll paint it!

Engine bay painted!

We got up early this morning in order to paint the engine bay. This is the last day of the christmas-vacation so the job had to be done today.

We started with applying the primer.

  

  
Over the next couple of hours, we painted three coats of the original blue paint.

  
  
Considering our little, or non-existing experience of handling a spray gun, I must say the end result is pretty much awesome.

It’s starting to get pretty cold up here now so I guess that I won’t spend that much time in the garage in January. Still, the engine is still not fully built so there’s plenty of stuff to take care of anyway until spring arrives.

Happy new year!

Engine bay almost ready for paint!

Lately,  I’ve been busy working and haven’t been able to spend as much time in the garage as I’ve wanted.

Daddy, on the other hand, who’s newly retired has spent A LOT of time there instead (luckily for me) and has done a huge job getting the engine bay ready for paint. 

Here are two pics taken a couple of weeks ago.


   

Today we moved the car to the shop where we’ll spray the paint and covered it up in protective plastic sheets in order to prevent paint from ending up in places it shouldn’t…

 
We’ll probably start priming it on Christmas Day and aim to have it all done by New Years!

I’ll keep updating on the progress here! In case I haven’t updated anything before Christmas, I hereby wish you a merry Christmas! 🙂