The last few weeks have been kinda hectic. Pretty much all of the interior, except for the door and backseat side panels has been repainted.
Reinstalling the dash sure was a PITA but eventually it was back in place and looked great.
Once the dash was back in place, the lower front side panels and the center console looked a little pale so I decided to paint them as well.
The amount of old dirt that was hidden in the center console is indescribable. I probably washed it 4 times before it was ready for buffing and silicone remover.
Once everything was cleaned and prepped properly, primer and three coats of paint was applied.
Suddenly everything was back in the car and it was ready! Before I could go for a ride, I had to take it to the biyearly car inspection (or Besiktning as its called in Sweden).
Opus Bilprovning had nothing to complain about and declared it roadworthy for two more years!
The new km/h speedo head’s in place!
I’m still painting some interior stuff. Since it had to be removed in order to get the dash out, I figured I might as well paint it while I can!
I couldn’t resist it, I had to touch up the silvery/chromey parts of the fan vents as well!
Tomorrow the dash is going back into the car!
Today I went to see if the four coats of paint was enough. To determine this, I had to take it out in daylight.
Once outside, I was quite surprised that it actually looked better than I thought it would.
Yes, the repaired parts are visible but It doesn’t bother me. Perhaps later though 🙂
I also painted the fan vents at the same time. To be honest I can’t really see any difference but I guess they’ll match the dash better now.
To take things perhaps a little too far, I think I’m gonna touch up the metal/silver painted parts of the vents as well. We’ll see.
Oh yeah, and the mailman brought me the kmh speedo head sticker today from Moparts Sweden as well 🙂
Since the previous owner just made a DIY kmh scale on it, I thought it would look nicer with a “real” one!
Next up is the center console which needs some paint as well!
Today the day had finally come, it was time to paint the dash.
I’ve spent a lot of time lately searching old threads over at the Cuda-Challenger forum (those guys know what they’re talking about) in order to find out which paint is the closest to the original interior color. I’ve gotten several answers and most of them pointed me to the SEM Color Coat line, and the tone Landau Black.
Before applying anything to the dash, I had to make sure that it was absolutely clean from dirt, grease and old silicone (which basically all “gas station touchup-products” contains) residue.
After washing with soap, scuffing and cleaning it with silicone remover three times, it looked like it was ready for the primer.
Then, two coats of the SEM Flexible Primer was applied.
After that, four coats of paint was applied in total.
And this is the result after the fourth coat was applied, I think it looks pretty good!
I’ll take out the dash in daylight tomorrow to see if it’ll need even more paint or if the four applied coats are suffice.
The repaired parts looked pretty alright to me. They’re visible, but I don’t think anyone really will take notice unless they’re aware of them.
While me and my wife went to NY for a week, daddy-o made some amazing(!!) stuff with the car.
First, he has managed to paint the remaining parts of the undercarriage and it looks great!
Second, he has installed the headers from Patriot.
Third, he has re-installed the tank, filler neck and everything else around there.
Fourth, the new Monroe hijackers are in place!
As all of the above wasn’t enough, he’s also mocked up the Magnaflow twin exhaust!
Setting up the exhaust is pretty much the last thing that needs to be done before we’ll be able to put her back on the road. Can’t wait!!
Some parts underneath has been painted now, and it looks great! It looks like about half of the underneath will have to wait ’till next winter with getting painted.
It’s a tight schedule now as the tank, headers and exhaust has to be fitted within a month as we aim to have the car back on the road early may!
Oh yeah, and we’ve fitted the new trunk weatherstrip as well! 🙂
In order to be able to put the gas tank back ASAP, we’ve decided to prepare and paint the underneath under the trunk first.
We’ve used the rust encapsulator as primer here as well, hopefully by doing that we’ve secured that no rust will appear!
We’re not sure yet on which paint to use underneath but I’m sure we’ll find some suitable matt black paint suitable for the purpose.
This morning the time had finally come, it was time to paint the trunk!
This was what it looked like after a number of layers of primer.
And this is what it looks like now!
We’ll see tomorrow what the finish is really like when it has dried but I’m pretty sure that only one more coat will be sufficient.